In honor of father’s day, I thought I would make a short list of things I’ve learned from my father. It occurs to me as I go through my day-to-day life that the lessons are immeasurable and invaluable:
- You can train yourself not to hate.
- Judgment is not our responsibility. Love simply and completely without judgment.
- There is great honor in all work.
- Liking and loving are two entirely different things. Choose who you like and love everyone.
- Don’t say what you don’t believe.
- “I think. I can.”
And my current favorite:
I have no idea what we were talking about, but I had to have been a teenager. We were trying to make a decision about something, and my father says, “I talked it over with myself, and I agreed.”
So #7 is even if you’re standing alone, agreeing with yourself is more than enough to carry on.
Happy Father’s Day!