on (re)writing: she isn’t dead

I started the re-write process with a simple grammar edit. Easy.

I moved to a setting edit. Not-so-easy. But doable.

And 120 pages into that second edit, I realized two things:

  • my setting edit was focused way too much on timing and not enough on actual place description. Whether or not this is important, I let settle into my brain for a bit. But after two random conversations, I realized it’s important to me. No big deal, I thought. That will be edit three.
  • one of the characters who died isn’t dead. Yup. And the funny thing is I didn’t realize that I shouldn’t kill her. I realized that she isn’t dead. I stopped writing to think this through. After all, the outline was finished with the character dying. It made sense in that timeline. And then all of a sudden, it didn’t.

Flash to me with my head on the table. Seriously. My summer is a few weeks from being over and the hours of editing I’ve put in is not only going to turn out to be a mere fraction of the writing that needs to be done, it’s probably going to keep me from starting the re-write of another story.

Sigh.

I suppose, though, that walking around running every errand possible for the past three days and repeating over and over in my head She isn’t dead. She isn’t dead. She isn’t dead. has really done nothing to help it get re-written.

The good news is, though, that a lot of what I think is the issue with the story will be solved by this revelation when it occurs. And I have to think that it will also be a better story.

It just leaves me with a lot of recalibrating to do in terms of my writing time. And my blogging time. I don’t want to abandon the chapter-by-chapter posts again, but I fear that when I go into this re-write nothing will make sense. I suppose it doesn’t really matter. For those who read, I guess my goal is that they get a taste of the way I write.

So, we’ll see. But in the meantime, she isn’t dead.

apartment gardening & other food sources

As of today, this gardening experiment has survived ants, flies, and my weeklong vacation. I tried to use aqua globes, but only one succeeded. Fortunately, the plants were checked upon and watered

20120710-093502.jpgso there was no major damage done.

Upon returning home, I found that cilantro had sprouted. I’m growing these from seeds. And, a new set of Aerogarden pods had arrived. The newest set is all lettuce. After learning that it will continue to grow as it is picked, I figured it was a good choice.

I also returned home to find that the two basil plants are now flourishing in their new dirt homes. This gave me some home that I would be able to transplant lettuce as well.

For now, the only other new addition is the spider plant shown at right. My mom has been offering these for the past year, and I finally decided to take her up on it.

One of the major perks of living in Downtown Los Angeles is the Grand Central Market. Half of me doesn’t want to publicize it, but I think most people know it exists and just write it off as a valuable source for groceries. Without setting it out as a goal, I’ve started to become more mindful of what I buy and eat. And because it is significantly cheaper to shop here, I have to tell myself that while I’m off work, it’s silly to be too lazy to walk over to the market.

Sunday’s finds: a carton of strawberries, a head of lettuce, 6 bell peppers, a bunch of cilantro, 6 bananas, 8 tomatoes, 2 red onions, and a huge cucumber for $3.94. Can’t beat the price!

20120710-093451.jpg